Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Evernote, Webclipping and the iPad (with a small rant at Gale while I'm at it)

As part of the WWII  iPad project I've been blogging about, I decided to try to go totally iPad for research, etc. 

Traditionally, I've had students use Evernote for managing their info, but it doesn't play well with the iPad for collecting sources.  Specifically, there's no iPad Safari webclipper.  You have to grab a screen shot or copy the text, close out of Safari, open Evernote and paste.  How clunky is that?  Especially since it's been a couple of years, more than enough time to tackle a better solution (though there are rumors the new version will deal with this).

In the meantime, I found a work around online.  It's a bit time consuming, but works.

I'm also looking at PaperHelper, which gives your iPad a split screen--one for the web, one for taking notes.  But you DO have to "take notes"--no web clipping,  but it does include a  button to help keep track of your sources.

Finally, may I have a bit of a rant at Gale here? I like their "Access My School" app; more importantly, my students in CT liked it, too.  Unfortunately, even though I spend FAR more money on databases now that I'm overseas again (as do most international libraries), Gale hasn't made this app available for their international customers, even though overseas schools tend to have fewer physical resources, and make a heavier use of their digital offerings.  Get with the program, Gale!



4 comments:

  1. Jeri, try SlingNote for a combined webpage - note pad view. It allows you to copy and paste from the website to the note side of the screen. Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a quick note to let you know that I mentioned your blog in an article entitled "The Top 25 Library Blogs" in InFocus by Library Works / Librarians Yellow Pages. It was also repurposed / reprinted on the Rivistas Subscription Services site at http://libraries.rivistas.com/top-25-library-blogs/

    Thanks for having such a great library oriented blog!

    ReplyDelete