Monday, August 10, 2015

Guided Inquiry Design: The Put-It-All-Together Chart

Previous GID posts:  #1,  #2

As part of our decision-making process for choosing Guided Inquiry (GI), the three librarians (ES, MS, HS) scheduled weekly meetings to read/discuss both of the Guided Inquiry Design books.  (If you can only buy one, definitely get the Framework one.  It's practical, rather than theoretical.)

Aside from nuts and bolts of the process, much of our discussion focused around  how the model fit with IB philosophy, the Learner Profile, and our individual sections.  It really is a natural for the PYP (elementary), which is very inquiry focused and collaborative, both with students and teachers.  It's still a good fit for MYP (6-10), though as the grades increase, I predict more of a struggle as classes become more content-driven, especially in the DP (11-12).

A big part of GI is research centered on student interests. Many of the "research" based learning at our school is short-term, product oriented, and teachers don't want to spend the time this kind of process takes.  And I do get that--not all research needs to be heavy-duty and pull-out-the-stops.  Thus, my goals for our pilot program this year:
With our pilot classes, identify which units benefit best from deep, sustained research.
The team then assesses and redesigns those units (as needed).
The team and students document and evaluate the process (I'll have a dedicated post on that later), gathering qualitative and quantitative data.

Once we'd finished reading/discussing, we felt we still needed a deeper understanding, so we broke up the various steps, and each of us gave a presentation summarizing how it all fit together.

That helped, but I felt I still needed a "big picture" flowchart of how the affective, cognitive and behavioral strands fit together for students and teachers, so I created the chart below (click to enlarge), which is by no means all inclusive, but gives a general "at a glance" idea of how the process works and what goes on when.  This is obviously more for teachers than students, and I don't like how each strand is separate--maybe some arrows to indicate the recursive nature?





10 comments:

  1. Why I am not surprised as I'm researching how best to teach our research process (and hoping to find some nice infographics to go with it), I end up at Jeri's door again?! You are a rock star, Jeri, and I'm so glad to know you! As for the graphic, I agree that we need to create something that shows the messy, iterative true nature of research. If someone has created it yet, I have not found it. Thank you for giving us this great start, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, that is TOO funny! I actually also have one that ties in the visible thinking techniques with each of the GI areas. I can email that to you, if you have Pages.

      Delete
    2. Hi Jeri,
      I am just beginning my journey into using the Guided Inquiry Design process, and I am currently taking the Making Thinking Visible course, so I would be curious to see how you have married the two! They do seem to naturally go hand in hand. Would you mind sharing?

      Delete
  2. Hi Jeri
    I discovered this as I looked for a Guided Inquiry Process chart. I am just beginning my investigation of guided inquiry with a view to implementing some guided inquiry units at my school this year. I found this a helpful summary of the steps. I notice you posted it a year ago and thought some arrows connecting steps would better represent the real process. Have you developed that idea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Helen. I have, and would be happy to send it to you if you send me your email address.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jeri,
      Do I just put my email address here or is there some non-public way to do that? Sorry, new at blogging too.
      I did get your reply sent to me by email.
      Helen

      Delete
    3. I was looking for a Guided Inquiry Chart on the web and found this. I really like it. Are you willing to share it? Do you have one with the arrows like you were thinking about. This chart makes it much more clear to me.

      Thanks, Tricia

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jeri- Leslie Maniotes here! Author of GID. :D
    The phases in our process overlap to show that each phase flows from one to the next. There is not a clear separation between the phases. Also the shape of the GID process as we have designed it reminds users of the emotional state of the learner that we understand from the ISP research. It's important to guide that emotional state as well as the learning and content of the inquiry. If you have other ideas about our model from your experience, I'd like to see them! Also have you seen our blog of practitioners? http://52guidedinquiry.edublogs.org We have a new website too guidedinquirydesign.com - come check it out! If you are using our model, perhaps you'd like to join us and take a week on our blog to describe your experiences. Thanks for finding value in our work and sharing it with others. Respectfully, Leslie Maniotes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jeri,

    Could you please send me a copy of your 'Big Picture' chart - it is exactly what I am looking for!

    ReplyDelete