Friday, July 16, 2010

I Think I'm in Love

I finally started a "serious" reading of a book on my iPad.  Previously, I'd looked at a couple pages to get a sense of what it would feel like, but hadn't sat down for a serious, concentrated effort.  A die-hard physical book lover, my previous readings showed me that the experience wasn't as horrible as I thought it was going to be, but I still didn't think I'd relish the experience.

I must say, I love it.  I'm reading Tony Wagner's The Global Achievement Gap--not exactly a light read--using the Kindle App for the iPad.  With the iPad, the pages are large enough that you're not having to turn them every 3rd sentence, and it's easy to highlight and add notes. (Though I'm still having issues typing.  I keep hitting the n key instead of the space bar, so I end up with sentencesnlikenthis).

I also like that my notes sync to my Amazon account, which makes it easy to check them when I'm on the computer and writing, say, an article.  I would love to see the notes on my iBooks app sync with my .Mac account.

Right now it's a bit cumbersome to switch back and forth between the Kindle App and Evernote (for example), but once the iPad has the same multi-tasking feature as the iPhone4, that will be much easier, and make this a no-brainer for schools as an alternative to handing out textbooks, novels, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment