Saturday, July 10, 2010

Welcome to My Footprint

Now, this is cybersafety that takes the right approach.  Instead of fear-mongering,  My Footprint SD focuses on the digital footprint we all leave behind and talks about how to manage that, which is EXACTLY the approach I want to take next year.

It offers two "real-life" scenarios each for high school and middle school, and one for elementary. It is pretty text heavy, so I'm not sure how well it will go over with students, but I like the handbook idea of students creating an online manual for others to use....or maybe a series of PSA's?

Thanks to Jamie, also, who commented on the previous post and recommended Netsmartz, as well as the Center for Safe and Responsible Internet Use.

Along these lines, Athur Levine has a cogent article on the Huffington Post, where he takes schools to task for blocking the very technologies students need to learn to use responsibly.  Money quote:
Schools today do not take into account the changing professional world that more than ever relies both on individual effort and networked teams. In an increasingly competitive global economy, American students are not performing well compared to those in many other nations. And rather than harnessing technologies that have become ubiquitous in young people's lives, American schools often avoid or even forbid them.

7 comments:

  1. You might also want to take a look at Think U Know. I haven't explored too much yet but I like that it has something for the lower elementary grades too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kathy. I tried to register on the site to access the materials, but it's in the UK, and needs a UK address.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a teenager, I think this really is an issue for my generation. I have recently started a blog to attempt to leave my own positive digital footprint, and today posted a piece about the consequences of posting on social media sites. If you are interested, the URL is http://motzie.wordpress.com/.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Motzie--it's so cool that you're being proactive about this, and thinking about smart ways to manage your online presence! I'll definitely be visiting your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeri - Thanks so much for visiting and commenting on my blog! It's good to know someone is reading what I'm writing...an audience can be motivation to continue!
    I would be very happy for you to feature the blog, and I'd love to work with you at some point. Feel free to contact me if you like.
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great topic, however, please remember that a digital footprint is about what you say about yourself, what others say about you, what your data says about you, and what others data says about you. You can only control one aspect of this and you cannot delete the others. more here http://blog.mydigitalfootprint.com

    ReplyDelete